Re: X-10 Mister House Motion sensor problems

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006 22:43:09 -0400, "Robert Green"
<ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
<lf2dnQfUlbT8MBrZnZ2dnUVZ_qadnZ2d@xxxxxxx>:

>"Marc F Hult" <MFHult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> ><stuff snipped>
>> >
>>   The X-10 stuff is quick enough if you position the
>> >sensor and transceiver close to each other and close to the load.
>>
>> In my experience, X-10 is almost never quick enough if the system needs
>> dim instead of toggle ON-OFF. And if you get up at 3AM , who wants the
>> lights to go on suddenly at 100% bright?
>
>That's an easy one.  Just get a two-way wall switch or module.  They'll
>remember the state last dimmed to and without any of the flash problems.
>
>But that's not and ideal solution.

Two-way x-10 modules and switches cost ~$30 and up.  An INSTEON ICON wall
switch is $19.99  Why recommend getting something new that costs more and
does less or worse? Not Either/Or. Get it?

>> Methinks you want this to work so badly that you don't see how badly it
>> usually works ...
>
>One could turn that statement right around and say "methinks you want this
>NOT to work so badly that you don't see how well it CAN work."  (-:

Touché !   ... or should we say "touchy"  ? ;-)

>It just takes a little effort.  It's not brain surgery.  I've solved the
>problems that could be solved by reading here and doing research through
>Google. I've worked around the rest.  Now the XTB will allow me to
>eliminate a lot of compromises and really embrace a centralized controller.
>No matter what I tried before, the CM11A and the TW523 could not reach
>every corner of the house.  Now they can.  That's a big, big change in the
>whole design of my system.

Waiting for (eg) INSTEON's many bugs to be addressed is especially
appropriate for folks that aren't making a clean install of all (eg)
INSTEON. The firmware on most (eg) INSTEON switches and devices is not field
upgradeable, so there will be more than a bit of trauma involved for the
early adopters who will find that the recommended solution to many of the
current issues will be to replace all their hardware (Sound familiar ?).

'Course if we had waited until x-10 got all its bugs we would have missed
out on all the fun over the years -- not to mention the wrath of SO's when
the lights inexplicably went on at 3AM ...

>It's a good time for it, too, because the mini-ITC PCs have proven
>themselves to be very capable and reliable.  They'll make better
controllers for far less $ than many of the hardwired panels out there.

"Far less $ " ??? The mini-itx that Homeseer sells with its software
installed -- only through distributors that will provide support -- costs
about ~2700. This is all about the cost of support, and next to nothing
about the cost of hardware which you seem to assume.

Also, if one steps away from the hypothetical to the actual, reality is that
hardwired panels provide secure, systematic hardware I/O connections and
connectors in an appropriate enclosure. This is critical. If you look at
(eg) the $2700 Mini-Itx Homeseer sells for their software, it has none of
those needed features. It connects to other pc-centric hardware, not home
wiring. This is/was also part of the Elk MM443-Ocelot comparison that folks
with no hands-on experience could never grok. The physical installation is
critical -- not jist the smarts.

My experience with mini-ITX is limited to the three VIA mini-itx's I own
including one diskless, fanless running XPe off a compact flash  that I
purchased on eBay for $100. Another runs MS Server 2003. The third is in the
junk box  awaiting an assignment or recycling through eBay. Yes they are
neat. No they are not a cheap panacea IME.

The original fanless 5000 and the new AN and CN-series
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/motherboards.jsp?motherboard_id=400
are at the ragged edge of what the current version of Power Over Ethernet
(POE) can provide (~15watts). Mini-ITX will become even  more popular when
the new POE standard supplying 30 watts+ is adopted. Adoption of distributed
and scavenged DC power will change the HA landscape considerably. Banish
wall warts.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.EControl.org