Re: Video Server and Distribution

I use a Windows XP file server with about 7 TB of storage. All my DVDs are
stored there in the original format (VOB/VTS.) I have  three "cheapo" PCs
running XP PRO with just enough hard disk storage for the OS and Nero.    I
used a display adapter with HDMI in the cheapo PCs, and a 54 MB wireless
connection back to the file server (which has a dedicated connection to the
wireless access point. My 40" Sony uses the HDMI for video only, as I run
the audio (optical) through my receiver. The other TVs are SDTV and I used
the S-video out for them, with normal stereo output. I've successfully run 3
different movies to 3 TVs simultaneously. This is not the cheapest solution,
but it sure works for me. The cheapo PC is tiny, about the size of a large
shoe box and generates so little heat that it fits in my media center
cabinet with little ventilation. The NERO HOME program constantly scans the
Media Server PC for new titles, and the ATI remote has hooks into the NERO
HOME program for RF remote control. Since my cable box also has HDMI output,
I use a 4x1 HDMI switch with an IR remote.

When I switch receiver inputs with its IR remote, the IRXP in Stargate
senses the change and sends all the correct IR commands to all the
components to correctly setup the playback environment.... sets the correct
input on the Sony TV, selects the correct audio setup in the receiver, sets
the HDMI switch to the correct input, etc. There are also keypads
(SmartHome) by all the entryways which allow me to shut off the AV systems
when I leave the house.

Hope this helps.

Clark Hensley