Re: Video Server and Distribution

> Do you store DVDs on HDD? What format are you using?

I rip my DVDs to IFO/VOB format.

>> Extenders can only do SDTV, not HDTV. This means that they're only good
>> for regular old analog TVs.
>
> Fact of the matter is, until bluray comes out, I don't have any HD content
> aside from over the air broadcasts. I don't mind watching TV in SD. I just
> want those sharp movies!
>
> I think I'm going to go with MCE extenders for now, and see what products
> come on the market for HD in the coming years of high definition discs.

As long as you connect via s-video or composite, which is what I *think* all
those extenders can do, it won't look that much sharper than regular TV.
There's only so much you can do with that type of connection.

>You said it yourself on your website: Low cost! I'd rather find a $250
>solution than be building more MCE machines.  That would put me up to 3 MCE
>PCs - kitchen touchscreen, living room, bedroom.

Who said anything about MCE? Go get a $300 dell, heck an older one used off
craigslist would probably do the trick. Slap xLobby on there and you're good
to go, complete with an infinitely better PQ for your LCD tv.