Re: Weird Insteon behavior - just got weirder!

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:28:06 GMT, "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <WOSrg.26172$uy3.18939@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 05:25:47 GMT, "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote in message  <vfmrg.21599$Z67.302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> I have an Insteon switch that when pressed turns on it's own load and
>> one other switch that it is crosslinked to. Been working fine for the
>> month or two it's been installed.  We went away for 3 weeks and upon
>> our return we now find that after the switch is turned on and the
>> crosslinked switch turns on as it should, two other switches also
>> turn on about 3 seconds later!.  It's as if they linked themselves
>> while we were gone. No one was here to play with them.

>OK, those following this thread know that after being away for 3 weeks,
>we came home to find that a switch in the kitchen would turn on itself
>and one other switch as programmed but had "added" the function of also
>turning on two other switches that it was NOT programmed to do (they are
>all in the same 4 gang box).  It would do this 100% of the time - not an
>intermittant behavior.  Weirder Part: Now it works correctly again.
>Approx. 48 hours later it started working correctly again - 100% of the
>time.  No loads were added or subtracted.  My one great hope for this
>system is that replacing the 2414X Translator with the upcoming RoZetta
>will solve these problems.

One scenario that would take the experience out of the realm of 'weird' and
back to that of simply 'buggy' would be if you had indeed inadvertently
cross-linked the switches but the linkage was/is working only intermittently
because something that you do when you occupy the house attenuates/blocks
the/a repeated signal. As you know, one of the imperfect aspects of INSTEON
is the difficulty of successfully un-linking (convincing a device to forget).
Were these devices virgin, unused, fresh out of the box, or had you installed
them elsewhere or in a different mode/configuration before?

What is a "2414X Translator" ? Were you able to determine whether the
behaviour occurred with the repeaters and computer interface removed from the
system?

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org