Re: Weird Insteon behavior

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 05:25:47 GMT, "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message  <vfmrg.21599$Z67.302@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>I have an Insteon switch that when pressed turns on it's own load and
>one other switch that it is crosslinked to. Been working fine for the
>month or two it's been installed.  We went away for 3 weeks and upon our
>return we now find that after the switch is turned on and the
>crosslinked switch turns on as it should, two other switches also turn
>on about 3 seconds later!.  It's as if they linked themselves while we
>were gone. No one was here to play with them.
>  At least for me, Insteon is turning out to be just as buggy as X10.
>I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet but I may be selling a load of
>Insteon stuff for half price pretty soon.

The delay implies that you have an error involving
retransmission/repetition.. The multiple transmitter/repeater nature of
INSTEON will make these sorts of errors difficult to isolate and cure.
Assuming that unplugging the couplers doesn't end it, the problem would seem
to require replacement of the switches which is expensive for everyone.  Did
you buy the extended warranties? (I'm not implying that the unrecompensed
time and hassle of removing and reinstalling is an acceptable fix for you.)

We had our first observed and verified command failure two days ago that was
much simpler and more benign than Bruce's problem. We have a conventional
arrangement of two pairs of switches at the top and bottom of the stairs to
control the top and bottom lights in the front hall. One switch in each pair
is a slave. When I pressed both switches more-or-less simultaneously to turn
both lights on, the two local indicator lights  indicated that they were on,
but only one light actually turned on. A second press did turn it on, but the
failure dropped the field reliability based on estimated daily use to
somewhere in the 97-98% range which is poor by our standards.

... Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org