ADI SpeakEasy (was Re: Suggestions wanted for Motion Detector delay/time-out)

"John W" <Don't_Spam_Me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message >
> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> > > <stuff snipped>

> > Somehow I thought the SpeakEasy only handled a single voice message.
I'll
> > have to revisit the specs.  Do you pipe the output through a home
intercom
> > system?
> >
> The Speakeasy is configurable for two different length messages.  I use 50
> 5 seconds each.  I have 6 PC-style amplified speakers located throughout
the
> house.  Since the SpeakEasy is mono, I can split a pair as two mono
outputs.

Nice idea!  I just bought a $25 3 piece Creative speaker set that sounds
remarkable given its small size and low cost.  They've made a lot of
progress in small speaker design.  For well under $100 I could cover the
whole house if I split the pairs, $200 if I chose to deliver stereo to each
room.  Great!

<stuff snipped>

> > Is that the online text-to-speech software?
>
> Yes, the AT&T online text-to-speech (freeby).

Great!

Thanks for all the information.  It's certainly going to be useful in
designing a new HA system.  If I am going to install several sets of PC
amplified speakers in the house, I've got to figure out how to integrate
them into a household audio system where I can listen to netcasts, TV audio
and whatnot and have that muted when it's time for the SpeakEasy to deliver
it's message.  I imagine I need a SECU module to handle the speaker input
switching via relays.  When it's time to deliver a message switch input from
[whatever] to [Speakeasy] and then switch back.  Not sure if I can fade out
the normal program material and then fade it in after SpeakEasy speaks -
that would be nice, too!

--
Bobby G.