Re: ADI SpeakEasy (was Re: Suggestions wanted for Motion Detector delay/time-out)

"Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> "John W" <Don't_Spam_Me@xxxxxxx> wrote in message >
>> "Robert Green" <ROBERT_GREEN1963@xxxxxxxxx> > > <stuff snipped>
>
>> > Somehow I thought the SpeakEasy only handled a single voice message.
> I'll
>> > have to revisit the specs.  Do you pipe the output through a home
> intercom
>> > system?
>> >
>> The Speakeasy is configurable for two different length messages.  I use
>> 50
>> 5 seconds each.  I have 6 PC-style amplified speakers located throughout
> the
>> house.  Since the SpeakEasy is mono, I can split a pair as two mono
> outputs.
>
> Nice idea!  I just bought a $25 3 piece Creative speaker set that sounds
> remarkable given its small size and low cost.  They've made a lot of
> progress in small speaker design.  For well under $100 I could cover the
> whole house if I split the pairs, $200 if I chose to deliver stereo to
> each
> room.  Great!
>
> <stuff snipped>
>
>> > Is that the online text-to-speech software?
>>
>> Yes, the AT&T online text-to-speech (freeby).
>
> Great!
>
> Thanks for all the information.  It's certainly going to be useful in
> designing a new HA system.  If I am going to install several sets of PC
> amplified speakers in the house, I've got to figure out how to integrate
> them into a household audio system where I can listen to netcasts, TV
> audio
> and whatnot and have that muted when it's time for the SpeakEasy to
> deliver
> it's message.  I imagine I need a SECU module to handle the speaker input
> switching via relays.  When it's time to deliver a message switch input
> from
> [whatever] to [Speakeasy] and then switch back.  Not sure if I can fade
> out
> the normal program material and then fade it in after SpeakEasy speaks -
> that would be nice, too!

Yes, that would work and in fact, it's one of my "to do" projects.  You
could use SECU16 relays to switch the audio inputs.  All of my SECU16 relays
are connected to a home-made relay board that has 10amp SPDT relays.  By
routing my audio input through 2 of these relays I could pick them before
issuing a SpeakEasy message and then drop them for normal PC audio to play
my MP3's through the same speakers.

Have a look here for some pics of my installation (see John W's HA
installation):

http://www.appdigsupport.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=forum;f=14

John W