Insteon with 400amp service (2 panels)

I just got my Insteon starter kit and discovered that I cannot get the
to Signalinc RFs to talk to each other. I have 400 amp service using
two panels. I talked to Smarthome and they said they don't support
this because they don't know if the signals will get through reliably.
I thought maybe I could get things to work if I started with both
phases of one panel. I had hoped that I could figure this out by
reading what the builder had marked on the panel (which seems to be
quite accurate). Once I got Insteon working across one panel, I was
hoping two more Signalinc RFs would bridge the two panels.

Am I missing something here? Is this even possible? If Insteon doesn't
work, do I have any hope even for X10?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

  - Leon