Re: Leviton Intellisense Vs Others

"Neil Cherry" <njc@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:slrndsg2ln.jc8.njc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:02:30 -0600, Gymfolks wrote:
> > Thanks to all of you for the info.
> >
> > This is my read so far....(a GENERALIZATION), tell me if I have it
right.
> > X-10 or X-10 based items can and do work, but there MAY BE occasions
where
> > they aren't always super reliable.
> >
> > Insteon and UPB looks promising, however Insteon is so new that there
are
> > relatively few devices available.  So, UPB now gets a closer look.
> >
> > Will all manufacturers of UPB devices function with each other (are they
at
> > least supposed to?)?  How does HAI stuff stack up to other UPB
manufactures?

> Does UPB have that many devices? Honest, I don't know.

Check out www.simply-automated.com .  In comparing that to what Insteon
modules are available at smarthome, they have quite a few more devices.
Most notable is the duplex outlet, I/O module, and the wide selection of
configuration of switches / keypads (1,2,3, and 4 paddle switches, many
configurations of 4 & 8 button keypads).  And that's just one manufacturer.

To answer "Gymfolks" question, I prefer the HAI switches as they have a more
solid feel, and don't have the "click" sound when pressed (much quieter),
but are not "mushy" like some of the old X-10 switches.  And yes, all of the
UPB devices work with each other across manufacturers.

However, UPB is somewhat more expensive.  Comparing apples to apples, a 600W
Insteon SwitchLinc dimming decora switch $40 from Smarthome, and a HAI UPB
switch is $52 from Worthington.

The main reason I chose UPB over Insteon is the seamless integration w/
HAI's OmniProII security/automation panel.  The configurability of these
devices are amazing as well.  From UpStart, you can configure all of the
scenes of course, but you can also configure things like the LED color, ramp
rates, and discrete actions for single- and double-clicks on each
button/paddle end.

Kurt