Re: Trash-Bot

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 18:01:17 -0800, Nehmo wrote:

> The can problem could be eliminated if we use bags, which require no
> returning elements. In fact, if bags alone are the cargo, a dump cart
> wouldn't be hard to make. In that arrangement, the bot wouldn't have to
> wait at the curb because the bot is only delivering, that is, driving
> to the Curb, dumping, and then returning Home.

They don't do this because the trucks are outfitted with a big "robotic"
grasper that literally picks the "can" up and dumps it into the truck.
And sets it back down, ostensibly in the same place where it picked it
up from. (at least here in So. Cal, and probably lots of other places.)
Designing/building/implementing something like that that could handle
as unpredictable of a load as bags would be prohibitively expensive.

But building a little motorized cart that could carry the can to the
curb should be almost trivially easy - just have it follow a wire, or
for that matter, a slot! If you get snow, then a snow-blower attachment
could be an add-on. ;-)  But seriously, this is sounding increasingly
simple - a low-profile 4-wheel dolly, with a large wheelbase (for
stability), and a reversible motor, like a wheelchair. The technology has
been in place for decades, there just hasn't been the volume to get the
price down to pennies yet.

And to keep anybody from stealing it, tether it. :-)

Good Luck!
Rich