Re: is x10.com dead?

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 19:53:32 GMT, Jeff Volp wrote:
> "AZ Nomad" <aznomad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>> I'd like to see every company still selling X10 modules die.  I really
> tire of
>> the home automation industry sticking with that crappy 60 baud protocol.

> Our Leviton light switches take several seconds to ramp up or down.
> Irrigation valves, pumps, and fans don't need high speed control.  Why do
> you need high speed for the things we control with X10?

Because it's at the edge of tolerance, if 2 commands need to be use
(to trigger a macro) then 2 seconds is way too long to tolerate
between action and reaction.

> Have you ever really looked at what is inside one of these X10 modules?
> Aside from the mediocre construction, it is a tremendous value.  That's why
> they have achieved such good market penetration.

Not sure I really agree, but the appliance modules are not a bad deal
once you snip the current sense circuit. Overall I'm not happy with
the X10 product while there are good products from the X10 family (not
made by X10).

> Yes, there will always be a market for the expensive high-end stuff.  Just
> like there is still a market for vinyl records and tube amplifiers.  Some
> people want a $10,000 HA system so they can brag about its capabilities.  We
> just want things to work.

How about those of us in the middle who want better quality without
the extra cost? I'm hoping that the Insteon and other competitors will
fill that niche.

Just a note, I do not agree with the OP on the death of all things
X10.But neither do I agree with X10 products (made by X10) and good
value. More like there was nothing else available (until now) in the
same or near price range.

--
Linux Home Automation         Neil Cherry       ncherry@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/               Backup site