Re: Open Source Thermostat and more (Schematics)

I'll have to check my back issues of epe & elektor, the 2 resistor
RS232 to 485 did indeed exist, it couldn't handle devices with
termination or long lines but was a cheap & cheerful way to talk from
your PC to a RS485 deivice.

I have all those HCS II issues and what I would like is to give my
linux server the eyes and ears it needs.  I have ICE pods for the
16F876 and 16F628 & 509 and will use an ICD2 for the 16F87 & 18F2525
series.

I do remember seeing lots of CEBUS stuff back then too and a little
modbus.

PS two more devices will be posted in today or tomorrow. Then it's on
to firmware.

New will be (names may change :-)

Owl: (a very inexpensive networked low power temperature sensor)
Basically a LM75 I2C temperature sensor, RS485, PIC12C508, 32khz
crystal, 3 bit address switch.  The fun part, it's SLOW 300baud and
automatic, device 0 transmits every 4 minutes, all other devices will
sync up and send their temperature reading 4 seconds+address after the
master (00) sends. It's designed to have it's own network
and will work with any operating system.  Updated firmware and or flash
PICs will allow more operating modes in the future and new RS485 chips
more devices per network ~128

Fiddler & Crab: (4 switch inputs, RS485 or RS232)
Fiddler = 4 relays probably aromat PA series
Crab = an L298 dual motor controller
CPU 16F87 or 16F628 should work with both, trick will be one circuit
board for both.

Bill

www.myblueroom.com