Re: Best format to post schematics?

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 18:50:20 GMT, szekeres@xxxxxxxx (GregS) wrote:

>In article <JsHLf.3643$SG5.1690@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Kurt Delaney" <kurt_dot_delaney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Can you "print" directly to a PDF?  I think the problem you are seeing is
>>that you are using your application to create a .png file, which is raster
>>graphics.  Then you are trying to convert that file into an Acrobat file.
>>That will never work well, because the original vector graphics information
>>was lost during the rasterization process of saving it to a .png.
>>
>>If you have Acrobat installed, you should have a virtual Acrobat printer
>>available.  When you "print" to that virtual printer, the vector information
>>should be passed to Acrobat, and then Acrobat will create a much better
>>document;  one that can be scaled easily w/o artifacts and will be much
>>smaller in size.
>>
>>Kurt
>>

>I'll try that later. I don't see how one can use PNG to print directly,
>and get readable results, unless you zoom and print multable sections.
>
>I saw Jpeg artifacts when i converted that PNG page to Acrobat.
>PNG is supposed to be lossless, yet I saw artifacts during this conversion.
>
>I'll fool around when I get a chance.
>greg

If you bring in a PNG to a PDF document, you must set your compression
options correctly!!!!! For black & white schematics, CCITT is an
excellent choice. If color or I'm lazy, I use zip compression. If you
happen to leave it on JPEG compression, you'll end up with a large
document that's hard to read.

Another nice thing about PDF documents, some schematic programs will
produce real text that can be searched when printed to a PDF format.
Thus, finding R138 is a snap.

---
Mark