Re: Doggie doors

> Sorry..  you seem to be looking at technology
> here and not what's real...

The hardware I suggested is real.  It also uses current technology.  Is that a bad thing?

> Given enough time and resources, you
> can train your pet to use a keypad too! :)

Yeah, right.  I never could train a dog not to poop in the house, much less use a keypad.

> Remember, the original post contained
> "I'm wanted to install some doggie doors
> in the house for some future residents".
>
> That kind of means that it should be
> something quite simple for the "future
> residents" (not who installed it).

Properly installed, my solution would be quite simple.  Even a dog could operate it.  I can't promise that the ASA crowd could
manage it though.

> I know for me as someone who shares
> a house with 4-legged critters, (I don't
> own them..  they are roommates) an
> ABSOLUTE WORST CASE would be if my DIY solution failed, and my own pets
> came to harm because they were "locked
> out" of their house.  (even a power failure
> could do this unless the DIY solution
> takes this into account).

If that's a major concern, add a backup power.  It would be trivial to provide several days' power for such a low-current solution.

> I know in my own case, there has been a
> time that a neighborhood "critter" tried to
> enter.  My roommates defended their turf,
> and that critter was never seen again...

Apparently the OP wants a solution that does not require future kirttens to defend their turf.  He seems interested in providing a
technology-based solution to allow resident critters in while keeping alien-critters out.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics