Re: 2 wire vs 4 wire Smoke allarms

> I believe that at least one vendor (BRK) sells AC smokes with a UL listed
> relay for interconnection to a security panel.

I beliebve you are referring to the BRK model RM3 auxiliary relay.
Here's what BRK says about the model.

"Model RM3"
"This 120 VAC relay can be used with BRK Electronics=AE brand smoke
alarms, carbon monoxide alarms or heat alarms to signal auxiliary
devices like horns, bells, and door closures."

"The RM3 accessory relay is designed to activate an auxiliary device
like a bell, light or door closer when used with BRK=AE Electronics 120V
AC smoke, Heat or CO alarms. Once connected, if the alarm is triggered,
the RM3 sends a signal to activate the auxiliary device. The relay
deactivates automatically when the alarm stops."

"Relay may be wired next to alarm, or from a remote location. If wired
remote from the alarm, a maximum of 1,000 feet of #18AWG or larger
wire, rated at least 300V should be used. The 120V AC relay is to be
used only with 120V AC BRK=AE Electronics alarms, to a maximum of 18
interconnected devices. The RM3 will not receive signals from alarms
operating on battery or battery back-up power."

Please note that the manufacturer does not list the device for use with
an alarm control panel.  There is a common misunderstanding about "UL
Listing" which unfortunately has been promoted by another gentleman
posting to this newsgroup.  The mere existence of a UL listing does not
mean that a given device can be used in conjunction with a fire alarm
system.  For example, your kitchen toaster likely bears a UL listing if
you purchased in the USA.  That only means that the devvice is
considered safe for use as a toaster.

Side note:  Sometimes clients seem to use toasters as a means of
testing their smoke alarms.  Those same clients occasionally use the
smokes as an oven timer.  :^)

It is hoped that you will give serious consideration to what I've
posted in this thread.  A fire alarm system is intended to save your
life and to help save your property.  In order to best accomplish those
goals you should pay close attention to the manufacturers'
instructions.

If you're doing your own residential fire & security alarm installation
you need to familiarize yourself with a few basic principles from code
as well.  Most of these are easily gleaned from the instructions and
from advice you can obtain from your alarm vendor.

If you need to review a portion of the code let me know.  I'll be happy
to forward brief passages (in conformance with copyright limitations)
for your perusal.

Regards,
Robert L Bass
www.BassBurglarAlarms.com