Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

> I suppose that's not impressive to someone that's a internet
> personality themselves.  :-0

I wouldn't know.  I don't personally know any "Internet personalities."

> I've done a lot of requirements analyses in my life.  It's always been
> incredible to me how wildly systems requirements morph as the design
> evolves.  Unfortunately, it's often not in a good way!  Usenet at times
> reflects the worst part of the process by inducing the "Telephone Game"
> effect in a very predictable way.  As soon as someone makes a twist,
> everyone else twists that way.  If we're talking flying red ducks and
> someone says flying red chickens, suddenly, there's lots of chicken talk.
> It immediately puts the OP in a contentious posture.

If the OP (we're talking in general now; not specific people please) happens to
be contentious, yes.  It's always the poster's choice how to reply.  You don't
*make* me angry but I might *choose* to become angry.

> He has to say, forcefully, I don't LIKE chicken (for whatever reason).

He doesn't *have to* do anything.  He can simply say, "Gee, thanks but that's
not what I'm after because...." or he can use the "F" word as you suggested.

> Now we're drifting from the OP's initial requirements in two directions.
> One along the lines of chickens and not ducks and the other about why the OP
> would even WANT to do whatever it is he wants to do.  Neither have much to
> do with flying red ducks.
>
> > > If my mate's read of Speed is right, we can be sure, if
> > > nothing else, that RS knows *exactly* what he wants.
> > > That's probably pretty clear by now, anyway.
> >
> > That can be either a good or bad thing.
>
> If it's a bad thing, you can issue the standard warnings (don't tie neutrals
> to ground, don't run LV parallel to HV wiring, etc) and let it lie...

Better yet, we can develop a meta thread discussing how one might handle
questions about flying red ducks.  :^)

> If I bought new cars at the rate I build PC's I'd need a used car lot.

This is kind of funny in our case.  Last year I decided to replace one of our
cars in the US.  I bought a new Camry.  Shortly afterward, we decided to get a
car for use in Brazil (new Fiat Adventure).  When we got home my Chevy
conversion van started giving me trouble so I bought a new Odyssey van.  Back in
Brazil again -- got tired of being stuck in the house whenever my wife goes out,
I bought a Yamaha motor scooter.  That's three new cars and a new bike in one
year (I think that's a record for me).  We only bought three PC's (one desktop
and two laptops) this year so the cars are ahead.  :^)

>> I didn't mean to criticize him at all.  In fact, I specifically
>> said that was not the point.  I was only trying to say that
>> "easy" and "hard" are relative.
>
> I know what you were trying to say.  I just wanted to point
> out that criticizing someone...

Now who's not listening?

> I was just being sarcastic.  Most people respond to posts for
> some personal reason.  Whether it's to share knowledge,
> bust chops or get "attaboys" there's always a personal element
> to a response.

Sarcasm can sometimes be witty and funny, especially if the other person can see
the wry smile on your face.  Unfortunately, in Usenet that's not possible so it
usually just sounds provocative.

I respond to posts in CHA for two reasons.  Primarily, I enjoy the conversation
and the occasional opportunity to help someone.  Second, I make a living selling
hardware online to people with HA and security projects.

> The good part is that you get lots of brainstorming and get
> to look at ideas you may not have considered.  The bad part
> is that the thread can wander so far away from the original
> post that the replies are basically worthless.

Depends on your perspective.  Realize that no one *owns* a thread.  As the
discussion continues, information is shared about the original topic and many
related areas.  Sometimes you learn something important about a totally
unrelated issue while following a thread about flying red ducks.

> > As long as the subject matter is related to HA, I
> > don't see that as a bad thing.
>
> It's not bad as long as it doesn't become contentious and
> people start talking past each other and everyone starts
> slipping on all the umbrage that's spilled everywhere.

Again, that's the personal choice of each participant.  If you say you think I'm
an idiot but you need information on some subject I have at least three options.
I can ignore your post completely.  I can respond with disparaging comments
about your mother's use of military footwear or I can simply answer your
question.  Most of the time I choose the third option.  My attitude is I'm not
here for you nor you for me.  I'm just here and so are you.

> I just wanted to make the point that we're talking to
> someone from another country...

Did you mention that earlier?  I must have missed it.

> ...Pushing the issue can really be read as calling the OP
> stupid...

Uh, no.  Explaining the difficulties associated with a particular type of cable
is not read as calling the OP stupid.  Insisting that it is might be a good way
to incite anger where none was intended though.

> American experience, anyway.

Well, yes.  I'm American.  Presumably most people realize that from the idiom.

> The telco cords I've worked with were remarkably unsolderable.
> They also would break the seal on the freezer door, so ours must
> be different from his...

Or the seal on his door is different.  I mentioned flat cable which definitely
will not break the seal on the door.  Whether that stuff makes it into his
project will be something he decides.  What he got was information.  Hopefully,
some of it was useful.  He sounds like a big boy.  I'm sure he can sort things
out.

> The difference could easily be the lack of insulating
> fibers that probably make our cords thicker and
> sturdier but harder to solder.

Actually, they're not part of the insulation.  The fibers are nylon which has a
greater tensile strength than the paper thin, extremely flexible conductors.
The fibers also stretch less than the insulation material.  If they didn't the
wires would break when the cord was pulled tightly.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.