Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

> What's that old AI joke?  "Yesterday I did not know what an expert system
> was.  Today I are one!"  You  is one, Bob.  Anyone who's got an army of
> harpies ready to gnaw at their liver at the mere mention of their name
> qualifies you.  FO seems to nominate you as the Greatest Usenet Villian that
> Ever Lived on at least a weekly basis.

Please don't make the mistake of defining me by what FO says about me or even by
the fact that he says anything at all.

>> ... It's always the poster's choice how to reply.  You
>> don't *make* me angry but I might *choose* to
>> become angry.
>
> I viewed RS's visit as I would a visit of a traveling minstrel.
> There's a lot of amusement value to be had from watching
> people's reactions to him.  He elicits strong responses
> everywhere he goes.

I'm obviously a much simpler man than you.  I saw him as someone looking for
answers to some questions preparatory to engaging in an HA-related project.  I
noticed that some folks responded to him in a less-than-complimentary fashion.
That's their choice and it's between them and him.  As Crocodile Dundee said
about nuclear standoffs or some such matter, "none of my business."

> I was actually related some of my own experience in other
> groups when I asked similar questions.  Instead of asking
> why I was so insistent on what I wanted, I got reams of
> drivel about why on earth I would ever want to do what I
> wanted to do...

Not having read those threads I can't assess the value of the responses you
received.  However, none of the suggestions put forth here were drivel.  Some
were taken and others were discarded.  That's kind of normal, don't you think?

> I found it exasperating and was sorely tempted to react
> as Rod does.

Are we speaking of the same Rod?  His replies here seemed reasonable.  His
response to personal criticism are a different matter, but I don't fault him for
that.  In fact, the only post that bordered on the vernacular was yours.

>> Now who's not listening?
>
> Touche.  But whatever spin you want to put on it, there's the very likely
> possibility that the OP will see you as disingenuine when you suggest he go
> out a learn a new technique or skill to solve his problem, especially when
> it's a skill you don't possess.

I think you meant disingenuous.  Reading his reply it seems the gentleman
accepted my comments on face value, took what was useful to him and discarded
the rest.

> That's why I view RS in the same mode as "shock jock" or
> one of the standup insult comics.  If you don't take it for its
> amusement value, you'll blow a blood vessel.  Life it too
> short!

I guess we have different impressions of the gentleman.  I didn't think he came
here trying to make anyone laugh or to shock anyone.

>> Depends on your perspective.  Realize that no one *owns*
>> a thread.  As the discussion continues, information is shared
>> about the original topic and many related areas.  Sometimes
>> you learn something important about a totally unrelated
>> issue while following a thread about flying red ducks.
>
> Very true.  But sometimes a meandering thread can be hell's
> bells for the OP...

Do you figure this meta-thread is helping him?

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Burglar Alarms
The Online DIY Store
http://www.BassBurglarAlarms.com

--

Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups.