Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

"Rod Speed" <rod.speed.aaa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Yes, kludges are quite common. Still makes a lot more sense to
>use a bog standard USB/1wire commercial converter/adapter if it
>will drive the string of 1820s fine, and it appears that that will be fine.
>At worst it might need one of the spare wires on the RJ11 cables
>used to drive the 1820s in non parsitic mode and doing that is a
>hell of lot simpler than using a IOM #135E or IOM #136 Module
>and a FT232BM USB - RS232 adaptor packaging wise alone.

The CP2102 is 5mm x 5mm and requires only 2-3 capacitors. It's capable of
very high bus speed and a very high serial baud rate.

I agree that a standard USB/1-wire adapter is simpler but it doesn't appear
there are any that are self-powered. It should be easy enough to modify your
Elektor adapter to use a separate power supply. +5V regulated switching
supplies are readily available. I've posted here about one that I've tested
to be trouble free as far as causing X-10 problems. However, you may have
problems with voltage drops if sending it very far over a wire in a
telephone cable, especially one that passes through a modular connector or
two at each node.