Re: 1-wire to USB converter that can use 1820s directly

Robert L Bass <sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

>> Done that myself in the past.

>> Its clearly a lot cleaner to use one of the existing USB ports
>> than to need to add another PCI card to support serial ports.

>> And that approach isnt even feasible with a laptop.

> Bob Green elaborated on your requirements and reasoning
> somewhat.  I can see why you've chosen this approach.  The
> only thing I'd try to steer you clear of is using flat phone cables.

Yeah, that's why I actually got some of those RJ11 extension
cords and checked that I can easily get those which use
stranded wire and not that satin stuff which can indeed be
a complete pain in the arse to do anything with.

Once you realise the problem, it isnt that hard to work out from
the appearance and the feel whether its that satin stuff or not.

> Regardless what you use, when you get the
> whole system up I'd enjoy reading about it.

Yeah, I always try to do that with more than trivial
questions, post the washup once I have got there.

The obvious approach is to make up the clusters of 1820s
on those RJ11 cables, see if it will work with one of the
commercial USB/1-wire converters/adapters. Best to wire
the 1820s up with 3 wires so I can use parasitic power or
a separate Vdd line. If for some reason it doesnt work,
because of the way the 1-wire bus is driven, I can alway
cut to the chase with a
http://www.phanderson.com/iom13x_usb.html and either
use that or work out why it drives the 1-wire better.

On physical packaging alone the commercial USB/1-wire
converter/adapter is rather more convenient, even if I do
end up doing something between the commercial USB/1-wire
converter/adapter and the 1-wire bus power wise.

> Allow me to reiterate what I said earlier.  My comments
> about what is easy were not intended as a slight.  We
> all have different experience sets.  'Nuff said?

Sure, your comments were welcome. I should have said
something about that satin phone wire in my original too.
I was well aware of the problem and should have said that.