Re: Before I embed a DS10A, any tips...?

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
> > I will be meeting with the supervisor of my local post office around
> > noon Tuesday to discuss the mailbox.
>
> If you know what's good for you, you won't 'discuss' the addition of
> electronic devices to the mailbox.  Really, for the reason Bob pointed
out.
> They're not interested in delivering mail to someone that might put their
> carriers at risk, and it might be fair to say they don't know the
difference
> between your low-voltage device and something dangerous.  Nor are they
> empowered to make such decisions.  They just wanna deliver the mail and
live
> to tell about it.

U-betcha.  And it often turns out that what one carrier finds acceptable,
another might balk at.

> You'd have been much better served putting a small magnet on the door,
> installing the reed switch in the frame and running a wire down to the
DS10A
> (just don't use the whole height for the 4x4 post)  The door wouldn't
change
> enough to matter and the reed switch could've been concealed along with
the
> wire inside the plastic box.  Other than a hole in the column to
accomodate
> the DS10A there wouldn't really need to be any other cuts.  There ought to
> be enough space inside the 'frame' of the box to allow fishing it up along
> from the back (or inside the post hole top)

I'd agree that anything that can make the mailbox seem as normal as possible
is a good thing.  IIRC, there was some psycho who was planting mailbox bombs
to make a huge circular pattern across several states in the midwest about 5
years ago.

IIRC, if there's something wrong with your mailbox they can just leave a
"non-compliant" box notice and suspend your delivery.
--
Bobby G.