Re: Before I embed a DS10A, any tips...?

> I will be meeting with the supervisor of my local post office around
> noon Tuesday to discuss the mailbox.

If you know what's good for you, you won't 'discuss' the addition of
electronic devices to the mailbox.  Really, for the reason Bob pointed out.
They're not interested in delivering mail to someone that might put their
carriers at risk, and it might be fair to say they don't know the difference
between your low-voltage device and something dangerous.  Nor are they
empowered to make such decisions.  They just wanna deliver the mail and live
to tell about it.

You'd have been much better served putting a small magnet on the door,
installing the reed switch in the frame and running a wire down to the DS10A
(just don't use the whole height for the 4x4 post)  The door wouldn't change
enough to matter and the reed switch could've been concealed along with the
wire inside the plastic box.  Other than a hole in the column to accomodate
the DS10A there wouldn't really need to be any other cuts.  There ought to
be enough space inside the 'frame' of the box to allow fishing it up along
from the back (or inside the post hole top)