Re: New Home Construction

> The other thing I am not hearing much about here is
> firebreaks, which are often irregular in height and a
> real PITA to get around.

I have two ways to get past them.  As another gentleman mentioned, a long
D'Versibit or Canadian Flexidrill will punch right through a firestop.
Alternatively, if you still have some of the paint and the wall is smooth
you can route the sheetrock and the fire stop, slip the cable past it and
slip a small metal plate over the route before spackling.  This is more time
consuming but you normally only need to do it in a few places per home.

> Also in Calif, textured walls are very common and
> if you do have to open a hole to fish things through,
> matching the texture is a major pain.

The best place to open an access hole is behind the baseboard or ceiling
trim board.  With a little patience these can be removed and replaced with
no sign that anything was done.  I and several others have posted detailed
instructions on the procedure several times both here and in a certain
"other" newsgroup.

> Lastly smurf tubes are cheap.  If you are building,
> placing them in walls is a good idea.

They're OK as long as you're certain you'll never need to change a location
later.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass