Re: New Home Construction

On 25 Sep 2005 10:57:08 -0700, "pebrinic@xxxxxxxxx" <pebrinic@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote in message  <1127671028.274626.183820@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

>Thanks for the responses! Marc, as far as budget, the house is 1500
>sqft total divided into 4 floors.  I am trying to get the system in
>place for about 15k could go as high as 20 if it was worth it.  My
>highest priority is to get the right kind of cabling intrafstructure in
>places, so if the cost of the electronics comes too high, I may just go
>for a 2 or 4 zone system initially and then upgrade the electronics as
>needed.
>
>I _definitely_ will have everything conduit-run with pull-lines.  So,
>hopefully, I will never have to fish cables behind the wall without
>them.

Good ;-) You will likely also have responses suggesting use of RF and
powerline distribution that is jist 'round the corner ...

My suggestion is that you think hard about where in each room you want
AV/computer information and run a pair of CAT5e and a pair of RG6 to that
location *and* to whatever closet is in the room. The closet wiring is your
future-proofing and reduces "wall acne". You can inconspicuously add hubs
and switches in there and use the home-runned wiring to it elsewhere in the
room should you need to in the future.

Fishing wire in a US stick-built house is not as hard as it would seem. So
running everything in conduit is probably not worth it. But do make a
conduit/chase from the basement to the attic so (assuming a 2-story house
with basement and attic), you can get to the first floor rooms from the
basement and the second floor from the attic. A fiber cable in that chase
would not be a bad idea. I wish I had done so.

Perhaps the biggest conundrum is whole-house audio because there is a
plethora of incompatible generic and proprietary choices.

Marc
Marc_F_Hult
www.ECOntrol.org