Solar water heating (was Re: X10 still around?)

Posted to:
 comp.home.automation & alt.solar.photovoltaic

"Solo Rider" <none@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

>> Recent weather events have led me to consider how
>> to design those systems so they can run a long time
>> from very little power - maybe indefinitely if there's
>> enough sun.
>
> I've done the X-10 based HA successfully, to the point where it worked
> without a lot of tinkering.  (HAI rocks),   However, its not the right
> answer for the long term.  The right answer is clearly hard wired ala
> CentralLite or equivalent.

I tend to agree.  I sadly forsee the RF spectrum becoming as problematic as
the 110VAC wiring has become for X-10.  Just too many other devices with the
potential to interfere with HA communications.  I keep reading stories about
places where keyless car entry systems fail to function because of RF
interference and it makes me nervous about what lies ahead for RF HA
control.  I have already had interference issues with microwave ovens,
cordless phones, video senders and wireless PC networking all living
side-by-side

> All the smarts in one place, minimal power
> dissipation.  Cost are up front, not recurring.  The issue there is long
> term parts supply.  Vendors go out of business, parts go obsolete, etc.

Sometimes, you have to bite the bullet and stock your own spares, even if
it's a $1,000 HA console.  I just bought a 16 camera MUX on E-bay (thanks to
Marc H! in CHA) and realized it was such a complex controller, I had to buy
a second as a spare.  Since it's going to be connecting cameras all over the
house, I fear it will be more susceptible to near-miss lightning strikes.  I
nearly bought a third!

> However, all in all we think it is the superior approach.
>
> The house will be located in the high desert so solar power is very
> desirable.

Yes - it sounds like you've got near perfect conditions for solar although
the time I spent in Phoenix convinced me not to try to live where you can
die without a constant supply of serious power.  If there is a global heat
wave coming, Canada's more the place I want to be!

> Looking at a mix of low voltage and AC or even all low voltage
> with Solar/battery as primary with AC backup.  Have a year or two to
figure
> it out, but clearly HA and low voltage is going to be a hard fit.

Not if Zigbee (battery powered) lives up to all the hype.  They can do all
they need to do without AC power, for the most part.

> Passive solar for water heating is still be looked
> at for economic viability.

I've decided to just do it and forget about the payback.  There's a positive
social benefit to my using less power generated by dirty coal plants.

> Anyone have any ideas for low voltage HA and where to get it.  Any
> recommendations for solar water heating would be welcome too.

There's an active solar energy newsgroup that has tons of information.  I've
cross-posted this message there.

--
Bobby G.