Re: Before I embed a DS10A, any tips...?

wkearney99 wrote:
>>I took the DS10A apart, and promptly discarded the plastic.
>

> Wouldn't it just have been easier to tuck the DS10A, whole, into the column
> of the mailbox?  That column looks like it ought to be hollow and would've
> provided plenty of room for the unit.  Sorta late for that now, of course,
> but now if it craps out during warranty you'll have to nothing to return.

The hollow column is for the 4-by-4 you bolt it to.

Actually the whole thing is hollow. Double-wall construction throughout!

The thing IS, it's all sealed up!

At least the door was held together with screws too. A better place to
start, structurally.

> Not a huge monetary loss, of course, but still...

I got 3 on sale at X10 for $25-ish, delivered.

> That and, if I read your post right, you added this inside the door itself?

Yup.

> Making the door heavier and increasing the likelihood the mailman won't
> close it fully.

Didn't I mention the magnetic clasp at the top? It closes positively!!

> Hopefully you can order a replacement door when that
> happens.

:)