Re: New Home Construction

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>And demos often have nothing to do with actual ship dates.  Sad to say but
>home automation vendors (not just intellon) are woefully BAD at actually
>delivering anything they claim in press releases, let alone at trade shows.

I doubt it will do any good but let me try to correct your
mischaracterization of the companies involved and of the current state of
the technology.

Neither Intellon nor most other members of the HomePlug Alliance are "home
automation vendors". They are in the networking market. Intellon and others
supply chipsets that companies like Linksys, NetGear, D-Link, etc. use to
build powerline network adapters.

There are already companies that sell 85Mbps powerline adapters (based on
HomePlug 1.0 +Turbo Codes) for TCP/IP and for audio streaming (up to 4
channels of 128kbps quality audio.

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/produkte/dLAN/mldlanaudio.html
http://www.stt.com.tw/

The ST&T video cameras over powerline might be attractive to some here who
have bemoaned the difficulty of running coax and power to external video
cameras.

For those who are unfamiliar with Turbo Codes...

http://www.francetelecom.com/en/group/rd/news/thematique/dossier_mois/ddm200505/att00032001/ddm200505.pdf