Re: Caller ID through 12 volt interrupt on whole house audio

>I asked Russound technical support and I wanted to post their response
> to my query:
>
> Yes you can have the computer's audio trigger the page on the CAV 6.6.
> All you would need to connect is a 600 ohm Line Level Output to the
> CAV's audio Paging input (the page input is signal sensing) Simply
> connect the Computer's Line output to the CAV with a 1/8" mini plug to
> RCA available from your local radio shack set the volume on the
> computer and your done. the page will stop 6 seconds after the last
> signal is received from the computer.
>
> Thanks everybody for their help.

If you intend doing this using a telephone please note that the output on
most of these is the same one used for the speakerphone function.  Simply
connecting this to the CAV6.6 will result in every speakerphone conversation
being broadcast throughout the house.

There is a solution to the above, however.  There are telephone ring
detectors which will throw a relay whenever the phone gets a ring signal.
Couple one of these to an inexpensive timer or connect it to an input on
your HA system and you can keep the speakerphone's output off line from the
Russound system except when there's an incoming call.

Some Caller ID devices (such as the 6-line model from Rochelle for which I
developed a software app years ago) send separate data strings to your PC or
HA system when the phone rings, when the ICLID (Caller ID) data is received,
when the phone goes off hook and when it is hung up.  This sort of unit
might be more suited to the HA experimenter's use since it is easily
integrated into just about any kind of PC or HA system with a serial
connection.

Here's a link to information on some of their products.
http://www.rochellecti.com/  The multi-line adapters are a bit pricey but
ISTR they also have (had?) a single line that was quite reasonable.

--

Regards,
Robert L Bass

Bass Home Electronics