Re: Product Idea: X10 to UPB/Zigbee/Insteon translator

Let us know the outcome.

One potential problem will be speed. You'll have the time it takes for a
TW523 command plus the normal time for an Insteon (or UPB) command plus a
smidgeon for translation. Since the ZC signal will have to be simulated it
can be sped up by increasing the rate of the simulated ZC but how much may
depend on the device (e.g. JDS, Ocelot) it's interfaced with. I suspect the
1ms X-10 signal will be unalterable but the intervals between them can
probably be shorter than 1/2 a powerline period.

However, I suspect most people would willingly sacrifice a little speed for
the increased reliability of Insteon, UPB or HomePlug HA.

"BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Excellent idea. I will send Dan an email and see what he thinks. Thanks!
>
>From:Dave Houston
>nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>> From a technical POV a TW523 emulator for UPB or Insteon is certainly
>> doable. A PIC or AVR would be sufficient to translate between the JDS
>> (or any other device that supports the TW523) and a serial interface
>> for either Insteon or UPB. Including a 310MHz RF receiver would allow
>> for control of the Insteon or UPB devices with palmpads, etc.
>>
>> The UPB serial protocol is published. The Insteon serial SDK is about
>> $100 and includes the protocol (although I still cannot recommend it
>> given the terms of their license).
>>
>> This might be something that would interest Dan Boone at ADI. It
>> would be a way for the Ocelot and Leopard to work with Insteon or
>> UPB. Why don't you send him an email or post a message to the ADI
>> forum.
>>
>> "BruceR" <br@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response on this Dave.  I knew you'd be the "go
>>> to" guy for some good thoughts on this.
>>>
>>> Your assumption is correct in that I hate to scrap the $1000+
>>> investment in my JDS stuff; however I'd be willing to do so if I
>>> could find another stand alone device that's as capable. I spoke to
>>> SmartHome about how Insteon works with X10. My understanding is that
>>> if a device is set up to receive X10 then the Insteon benefit is
>>> lost. IOW, there is no ability to repeat an X10 signal as an Insteon