Re: Product Idea: X10 to UPB/Zigbee/Insteon translator

Insteon already supports X-10 although not with a TW523 emulation.

I think SmartHome would balk at supporting UPB and vice versa and given that
both licenses would be involved I doubt a ménage-à-trois would get off the
ground.

I assume you want TW523 emulation so it would work with your JDS gear,
HomeVision, HAI, etc. but I think the TW523 protocol would be far too
restrictive to make best use of either Insteon or UPB.

I can say that I was approached to be a beta tester for a planned UPB/X10
bridge. I turned it down because of my health and I will not say any more. I
don't know whether the project had the blessing of PCS.

I was impressed with the reliability of Insteon. My brief tests were not
conclusive but others are beginning to post good reports also so I think
it's a potential winner. You may soon see HAI and others offering an Insteon
interface. I think PCS made a mistake when they priced UPB at a premium
level.

There may soon be another player. HomePlug is working on a simpler
specification (and lower cost chip) for home automation. Yitran already has
a similar chip which includes the SCP protocol.