Re: Product Idea: X10 to UPB/Zigbee/Insteon translator

Thanks for the quick response on this Dave.  I knew you'd be the "go to"
guy for some good thoughts on this.

Your assumption is correct in that I hate to scrap the $1000+ investment
in my JDS stuff; however I'd be willing to do so if I could find another
stand alone device that's as capable. I spoke to SmartHome about how
Insteon works with X10. My understanding is that if a device is set up
to receive X10 then the Insteon benefit is lost. IOW, there is no
ability to repeat an X10 signal as an Insteon signal.  He also told me
that they did not have a translation bridge on the drawing board but
thought it was a good idea.

Even if the translation on such a bridge were limited to the standard
"on-off-dim-bright" (I'd even settle for just "on-off") it would be
enough to get me to scrap the X10 stuff and switch to Insteon (or
another).  I see your point about the licensing of competing
translations in a single box. That would be fine too as only one would
typically be needed. I suppose different boxes could be produced for
different protocols.

JDS is working on a UPB interface but, at least in its first iteration,
it will require removal of the phone board which is unacceptable to me
as I use that function extensively. It's good to hear that someone is
working on a UPB/X10 bridge.  I already have some UPB stuff and would
love to be a beta tester if they're still looking.

I think that whoever comes to market with an X10 bridge to any of the
new protocols is likely to get a quick leg up in getting guys like me to
switch everything out and topple X10 as the defacto standard.  The
availability of a bridge would get some vendor a bunch of $2500+
module/switch orders in a heartbeat.

From:Dave Houston
nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxx