Re: Newbie Advice needed

I think most people would recommend against using any of the X10 Inc
switches.  Personally, I've had nothing but bad experiences with them.

One friend of mine does use them.  He buys them in bulk so he can
replace them when they die.

My guess is if you look at total cost of ownership, the Leviton or
Smarthome switches aren't as expensive as they seem based on purchase price.

Also, the "click" on the leviton and smarthome switches is very nice
compared to the "squish" you feel when you hit an X10 inc switch.

I've used all of them in different installations.

My current favorite is the Smarthome stuff.  Their first generation
switches had a few problems, but I just finished a house with 30+
switches and everything works great.

I put in a couple of the "booster" switches in distant locations (from
the panel with the coupler/repeater) and reliability has been excellent.

I'm also using their 8-key keypads in a number of locations.  I had bad
luck with an older 6-key unit.  But, all the "new" ones are working just
fine.

Be sure to get a "maxi controller" from X10 though.  It makes
programming much easier.

Mitch