Re: Newbie Advice needed

I am wavering between an Ocelot controller (with PLC interface, about
$175) and the SmartHome 1132CUP ($100).  I expect to go through a
trial phase and eventually end up with something like HomeSeer running
on a dedicated PC, so I want something economical to start with that
won't be too much of a waste to throw away when I move up.

When I began looking, UPB was the most attractive technology, but the
price discouraged me, so I think X10 is best for now.  I recognize the
need for filters and a coupler/repeater.  The coupler is a small
problem - my only 220v outlet is for my dryer and there is no room for
one of the plug-in modules; so I need a hard-wired unit at the breaker
box.  The problem is I can't find one that is both a coupler/repeater.
Any suggestions?

The SmartHome switches and outlets are much higher (2-3x) than
x10.com.  If I went with either the Ocelot or 1132CUP, should I stay
with SmartHome devices or would x10.com receivers work nearly as well?
Is there another brand that gives better price/performance?

Thanks to all.