Re: Stylish keypads?

> But I wonder if a wall mounted device with an
> ever-changing light display isn't going to have poor SAF?  I had to move
the
> server and hub out of the guest bedroom because the LEDs were bothersome
> certain, high-status guests. :-)

An indicator light on a switch is a considerably different thing than
ethernet link and activity lights.  I'm fine with the amber glow of the neon
in a wall dimmer but HATE the front-panel light on the DirecTV box (or any
cable box, for that matter).  A status light on a wall switch is a lot less
likely to be annoying, especially since it's not flipping on/off but
following state.

> It's not until you start using trackballs in a dust
> environment that you appreciate how much bioslime gets into control
> interfaces.

A trackball's sensitivty to crud is completely different.  A wall switch in
basically a single action.  A trackball has 360 degrees of rotation on that
ball and any crud on it will certainly be disruptive.  I gave up on physical
roller trackballs AGES ago.  I greatly prefer the optical types such as the
MS trackball series.  It's only about once a month (if even that often) that
I have to clean it.  Even then it's only a quick swipe at the light sensors,
not on any rollers.

Engraved buttons will tend to pickup more crud than other styles.  But not
enough to raise any great concerns.