Re: Stylish keypads?

"wkearney99" <wkearney99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> > But I wonder if a wall mounted device with an
> > ever-changing light display isn't going to have poor SAF?  I had to move
> the
> > server and hub out of the guest bedroom because the LEDs were bothersome
> > certain, high-status guests. :-)
>
> An indicator light on a switch is a considerably different thing than
> ethernet link and activity lights.  I'm fine with the amber glow of the
neon
> in a wall dimmer but HATE the front-panel light on the DirecTV box (or any
> cable box, for that matter).  A status light on a wall switch is a lot
less
> likely to be annoying, especially since it's not flipping on/off but
> following state.

I suspect that people are bothered by such things on a continuum, with my
MIL able to find any source of artificial illumination through several
layers of lead.  :-)  I, on the other hand, can fall asleep in a room full
of squawking police scanners.  The wife is only susceptible to lights if
she's got a migraine.  What it means, in the long run, is that any device I
use in the master or guest bedroom better have a stealth mode.

> > It's not until you start using trackballs in a dust
> > environment that you appreciate how much bioslime gets into control
> > interfaces.
>
> A trackball's sensitivty to crud is completely different.  A wall switch
in
> basically a single action.  A trackball has 360 degrees of rotation on
that
> ball and any crud on it will certainly be disruptive.

I didn't mean to imply that wall switches build up as much bioslime as
trackballs.  But I do believe that if you are in the repair department of
someone like PCS or Centralite, you end up seeing devices that have died
from crud infusions.  That's why I think so many control makers have adopted
the rubber membrane model for any device that gets touched by human fingers.
Also, a membrane keypad probably makes manufacturing a lot easier since the
buttons don't have to be mounted separately.

> I gave up on physical roller trackballs AGES ago.  I greatly prefer the
optical types such as the
> MS trackball series.  It's only about once a month (if even that often)
that
> I have to clean it.  Even then it's only a quick swipe at the light
sensors,
> not on any rollers.

Yeah - but . . . They felt inspired to change the button and ball layout as
well and that made it peculiarly uncomfortable for my particular hand.  At
least with the MS trackball (old style) all the crud builds up on the three
bearings and the two axial rollers.  But it's an impressive amount of crud.
A light switch in a kitchen or workshop environment is bound to build up
some of the same crud, just in lower quantities than a trackball.

> Engraved buttons will tend to pickup more crud than other styles.  But not
> enough to raise any great concerns.

At least they don't wear off after extended use the way a lot of cheap
remotes and phone buttons do.

--
Bobby G.