Re: UPB (was: Re: Stylish keypads?)

"Mark Thomas" <mrt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> My current house, which is on the market, has PCS
> Scenemaster and SwitchLinc switches everywhere. It took an
> amplified coupler/repeater and liberal placement of filters to
> get it stable. UPB is not like that at all.

I assume it's going to be less susceptible to attentuation because if I read
the specs correctly, the signal is 10 times the voltage of the X10 signal.

If it compares favorably with X10, pricewise, I'll be interested, but that's
a pretty hard thing to do, even when lots of filters and a coupler is
required.  I just bought a dozen X10 Stanley mini-controllers for $2 each.
Why?  Because they're easy to make into pseudo universal modules.  Where
else can you get a four position load controller for 50 cents a load?  Last
year I bought two dozen appliance modules for $4 each.  I think I should
have bought four dozen in retrospect!

X10's low price calls to me like the Dark Side of the Force.  I try to
resist, but at these closeout prices, it's very, very hard.

--
Bobby G.