Newbie Questions

Hi All,

I'm strting work on a monitoring system for my own house which will be
built soon. It has a simple purpose - video monitoring our house from
work while the babysitter is with our child.

I have that part pretty well planned out already, but now I think I'd
like to add other features such as lighting control, temp. monitoring
etc.,

Can someone please kindly point me to any information, groups or
vendors who sell this kind of equipment? i.e. a thermostat that can be
controlled via LAN,(wireless/wired). My biggest priority is that these
devices need to be accessed via TCP/IP and hopefully provide a
programming API, as I plan to write software to control these from
central location.

Any information will be greatly apprecited!

Igor.