Re: Newbie Trying to sort it all out...

Dave,

Thanks for the advice - I'll continue to lurk & pick up on the
experience here.

I am looking to retrofit an existing house - The house is about 8 years
old, we've been in it about 2=BD months.  I'm not looking for bottom
dollar  solutions - those often end up costing so much in time, repairs
& replacements, but I'm not looking to go top-end either.  For now, I'm
really only looking at lighting control - I haven't even thought about
much else, except perhaps thermoststs.

I'll order the SmartHome catalog today.  I am willing to tinker - I'm a
DIY type, and a Ham radio operator, so tinkering is in my genes.  As
for the remotes, I'm willing to spend $200-$300 or so - I know those
aren't cheap and that more features and flexibility come with increased
price tags.

Dave Houston wrote:
> You should lurk for a few more weeks.
>
> You don't provide much in the way of specifics but it sounds like you
want
> to add automation features to an existing house rather than to one
being
> constructed. You also don't say how much you want to spend.
>
> X-10 is probably still the best choice for low budget retrofits but
it does
> require that you understand its quirks and weaknesses. There are
several
> manufacturers that use X-10 technology but they do not always make
that
> clear in their marketing. Get a copy of SmartHome's print catalog.
They