Newbie Trying to sort it all out...

Hello,

I've been lurking for a few days, and I'm looking for some (mainly)
lighting control advice.  I've got over 20 years electronics experience
and have done my own home wiring, but never dealt with X10 or any of
the other lighting control technologies (except switches!)

Of course, every vendor site offers the best thing since sliced bread,
and I'm looking to sort out who makes what, and what's interoperable
with what, etc.

I want to be able to shut off all lights from one place, to turn on/off
the exterior lights singly or in groups, to adjust lighting for
TV/movie watching in the family room and rec room, control decorative
lighting (my wife decided we had to have the candle lamps in the
windows on the front of the house).

I'd also like to be able to control the family room and rec room
lighting via wireless remote, perhaps one of the home theater
programmable, universal types - I'd like to control AV equipment (via
IR) and lighting (via IR or RF, don't care.)

Thanks,

Mike