Re: Newbie Trying to sort it all out...

 > and a Ham radio operator, so tinkering is in my genes.  As
> for the remotes, I'm willing to spend $200-$300 or so - I know those
> aren't cheap and that more features and flexibility come with increased
> price tags.

Actually you can get very full featured remotes at Radio Shack and
WalMart. Just look for the OneForAll remotes that have the JP1
connector. Start here: http://www.hifi-remote.com/ofa/ . Using the
contributions of the JP1 group a "tinkering inclined" person can do just
about any IR (or RF if you are so inclined) thing with a $20 remote.

As for SmartHome "linc" products; I have had my share of problems with
some of their products but currently I have over 60 ToggleLinc devices
running in three houses with good success. Only one failed device.
Hopefully they are getting their act together in regards to their "house
brand".