Re: Newbie Advice needed

Jack - thanks for your challenging responses.  Please note my

"Jack Ak" <akjack@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Because you don't exhibit basic knowledge of electrical
>"terms-of-art".  Not understanding the difference between ground
>and neutral wiring may result in unsafe and potentially fatal conditions.

I think you mistake my approach (asking deferential questions and not
presuming to know areas outside my expertise) with being an imbecile.
In any of my many amateur electrical jobs, I scrupulously have insured
good grounding and have never used the ground in place of the neutral.

>You asked whether " the circuits off the auxiliary panel are
>somehow isolated from the main panel and its circuits."

If this is a stupid question, then I plead guilty on this one.  To
further cement my ignorance, I still don't know the answer, although
your reply does give me an idea :).  I do not know if the subpanel is
somehow electrically isolated from the main panel in a way that
interferes with PLC signals.  I gues not?

>This is one example from your postings which reveal
>lack of knowledge.  Describing two hot and neutral wires
>as "three phases" is another example.

Completely guilty.  I took a phrase that was vaguely familiar to me
from a past life and applied it wrongly.  But I do understand the
fundamental concept of using two hot wires and a neutral to provide
flexible 240v or 120v power in a mixed application - like most
residences in the U.S.

>Here are several self test questions...
>Why do the two wires from a wall switch to a lamp fixture use
>white and black insulation?  Which color wire carries the current?
>
>What gauge wire should be used with a 20 amp circuit breaker?
>
>Why does an oven or range top use three conductors plus
>a green grounding wire?
>
>You need not post the answers, but think carefully about making changes
>to your electrical service if you have any doubt about the correct answers.

Yea! I pass (66% is passing, right?  In my defense, I am not laying
any new circuits so I don't think I have to know
off-the-top-of-my-head what gauge wire is needed for a 20amp circuit.
If I do, I will look it up).  Seriously, this is useful to me and I
thank you.