Re: X10 -> UPB?

James Russo wrote:
> > The initial press release from PCS said it would add $4 to the cost of a
> > module. The prices do not reflect that - it may be just another case of warp
> > mathematics. ;)
>
> It surely is more expensive then comparable products from Leviton, etc.

Why do you say this? Here are some "comparable" products:

Leviton 4292 dimmer, 2-way, 1000W
http://www.smarthome.com/4292.html
List $90, currently on sale for $83

Switchlinc 2-way dimmer, 1000W
http://www.smarthome.com/2381w.html
List $90, currently on sale for $80

Of course, they're not _exactly_ comparable, because the UPB switches
have many more features (without even getting into the better
reliability and speed of the underlying protocol). These include:

* The ability to report back not only load status, but signal and noise
levels.
* The ability to perform complete remote setup by reading or setting
its internal registers, adding new scenes, etc.
* The ability to program any action to a tap or double-tap of the
switch
* (SA or WM brands only) The ability to swap a faceplace to become a
multi-rocker switch or a multibuttion keypad for scene control.

When I looked at the feature set I wanted, UPB turned out to be a much
better value.

> The major benefit I see is the way that the system is configured using
> the UpStart software. Also, they have one device which can be confirued
> from 2 to 8 buttons with just a faceplate change and a re-program via
> the computer. They also allow a switch which is configured as an
> 8-button controller to also control a load, something I was not able to
> find from Leviton.
>
> I have some UPB items on order from Worthington so I will let everyone
> know what they are like once I install them. They are on backorder
> though. :-/

Even at Worthington dealer prices, the SA UPB switch is cheaper than
the above Leviton.

- Mark.