Re: Controlling media player from bluetooth headset?

Bill Kearney wrote:
> "Frank Olson" <Use_the_email_links@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>
>>>I got a Logitech bluetooth headset for Christmas. I am not using it with
>>>my mobile phone which is not bt enabled, but just as a wireless headset
>>>for my PC.
>>>
>>>Then I got the tought that I must be possible to get/make a program for
>>>the PC that will respond to the key presses on the headset. I would like
>>>to be able to pause and wind/rewind the media player from the headset.
>>
>>Your PC's headphone/speaker jack is just that...  a headphone/speaker
>>jack.  The sound card would have support the button functions on your
>>headset and there currently isn't anything on the market that does that.
>

> That's crap.  Read the original message before spouting the wrong answer.
> He's talking about a bluetooth headset.  That provides an actual audio
> output device.  It has nothing to do with the regular soundcard analog
> outputs.  Yeesh, get a clue.

Well, Ex-x-cuse me!

> Technically it is possible but there'd have to be a program running on the
> PC that understood how to handle the incoming Bt headset signals and sent
> them to a media player.  It actually wouldn't be all that complicated
> code-wise but it's unlikely to be something the typical headset program
> would understand how to do.
>
> I'd start by reading up in MSDN regarding how telephony and headset devices
> are supported.  Then you'd have to interface with either the player program
> or the OS media handlers.  It would probably be better to interface with the
> player directly as you're likely to have different streams going to the PC
> speaker and the headset.
>
> And don't bother reading Frank's posts, he's generally full of crap.

That's getting a trifle testy, there, Bill...  Considering it was an
honest mistake I didn't expect to be "raked over the coals" for.  I'll
keep your comments in mind though (about *reading* the question before
"jumping in" with a quick response).  Have a good New Year.