MUX serial remote control

I have a 16 channel MUX that is controllable via a three-letter command set
using an RS-232 connection.  I would like to be able to control at least
some basic functions of this unit via an X-10 8-in-1 remote.

What's the best way to implement such a system?  Can an Ocelot be programmed
to recognize IR commands from an unused function like AUX1 or AUX2 on the
remote and convert them to serial commands that the MUX can understand?

Whatever I select, some of the commands are not printable characters and
require sending an 8-bit binary address or hex value to select which
daisy-chained unit to control.

--
Bobby G.