Re: Dave Houston....I need your help!

Hi Dave!

1. Your HomePlug network stopped working when you added the KeypadLinc.
This
really should not have happened since the network uses frequencies in
the
3-20MHz range, much higher than the 120kHz used by X-10.
-I think you said in another thread that possibly smarthome must be
using a line filter that is attenuating the higher frequencies used by
the "homeplug"...

2. Devices controlled by the KeypadLinc turn on/off at random times.
-The only device affected is the landscape transformers...

3. A lamp module appears to be noisy even with no load. This is also
something that should not happen. X-10 lamp modules have a choke the
should
block noise from reaching the powerline. You will get triac switching
noise
but these are short duration bursts that will not (usually) show up on
an
ESM1.
-I think it is a faulty lamp module. On one test with no load, it
created noise. On a later test with no load, no noise! Go figure!

IIRC you said you had the landscape transformers plugged into the lamp
module. This is not advisable as the laminated cores of coil type
transformers don't like the chopped triac waveform. In general you want
avoid inductive loads with a lamp module.
-The transformers have always been plugged into an appliance module or
an X10 receptacle. The behavior is the same between the two different
receivers.

Do you have a CM11A, CM15A, PowerLinc or some other controller with PC
software that can be used to log valid X-10 PLC activity?
-No....unfortunately. I know that would help a great deal...

Are you using the photocell option with the transformers?
-The transformers are mounted in the garage, one has a photocell built
in which has a cap over it. The other I ordered without the photocell.