Re: Smarthome Insteon Translator

If the speculation by PeterW in the Insteon thread you cited, "...I expect
this is a regular 2414U usb powerlincv2, but with custom SALad code
downloaded to it" is true, this means they can change the personality of the
unit by changing its programming. That's a pretty powerful concept and
should allow them to do things like this quickly if they don't have to
design new hardware. It's like a babelfish for Insteon. My forehead smarts
where I smote it when I finally grasped what they are doing.

It's not clear whether the UPB translator replaces the TW523 or whether it
functions in like manner to the 2414X although the description does lean
towards the latter. Maybe Brett can clarify that point if he can reverse the
ratio in his posts from the current 95% flackery and 5% meat.

Even with each Insteon device being a repeater, signal sinks are still
likely to be a problem although a much less severe one than with X-10. I
also expect that Insteon will be largely immune to noise but only time will
tell. The Insteon technology can be used worldwide which means a larger
market (although the need for different plugstyles negates that a bit) which
should help keep prices reasonable.

UPB prices are not as reasonable to begin with (Brett's UPB translator costs
twice as much as the 2414X) and are not likely to moderate. I don't think
the UPB technology will be legal in Europe.

If Brett's translator functions in the same manner, mixing and matching
X-10, Insteon & UPB with existing controllers should be possible.