Re: ActiveEye motion detectors falsing

random735" <random735@xxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
news:1123249580.542610.166850@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I have 4 activeeye motion detectors...all are set to detect motion at
> all times.  3 of them are inside and have never given me a false motion
> detection, but the 1 that is outside on my porch seems to false
> semi-regularly between 11am and 4pm or so... I suspect this has to do
> with temperature, that once the temp gets above a certain threshold,
> the detector becomes susceptible to falsing in the heat/humidity..

While a few people have had occasional success with Active-eyes outside,
particularly in colder climates, it's pretty well-known that X-10 PIRs suck
for outside work.  They see swaying trees, moving shadows, squirrels and
birds.

You can play around with masking the PIR window with black electrical tape
but that's very hit and miss and only works if the target will be very close
to the detector and moving against something like a brick wall.   The DM10s
that came with the Robodog are a little better than the
Active/Eagle/Hawk-eye PIRs, but not enough to depend on.

A better solution would be to buy *decent* PIRs with dual technology sensors
and wire them to a powerflash or the minicontroller four channel powerflash
DIY mod that's quite easy to do.

http://www.geocities.com/ido_bartana/modifying_mini_controller.htm

About mid-page see:

Turning the mini controller into a dry contact receiver

--
Bobby G.