Re: Neutral wire at switches for outlets?

"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "Lewis Gardner" <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Close, but one problem...
>>
>> The white wire in these "switch leg" or "switch loop" circuits is the
>> always hot wire and the white wire is the switched hot wire. This makes
>> identification of a unknown white wire easier since it is always hot not
>> just hot when the switch is on.
>
> Can you try that again? You've confused me, now. :)
>
> My way of thinking (in the US) is that an unknown white wire is going to
> be assumed neutral. An unknown black wire is going to be assumed hot.  If
> I'm wrong, I'm wrong.. but I've always seen white with a black mark as the
> switched leg, black as the always hot leg.

Went to dinner, came back, re-read, and understood. Though I do believe you
meant "black is switched."   That way, there's no way to assume the white is
neutral... it's always hot. If it were switched, and off, you might think it
was neutral.

Got it. Thanks!