Re: Neutral wire at switches for outlets?

"Ben" <galanti@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>I know this is a stupid question, but is there any reason why switches
> for outlets can't have neutral wires? I'm currently building a house,
> and I requested a neutral wire at all the switches. The light switches
> do have neutrals, but the switched outlets don't. Most of those are in a
> box with a light switch, so there is neutral in the box, but a few
> aren't. Does each switch in a multiswitch box need a neutral coming in?
> Any help for this newbie would be appreciated. Thanks!

Ben,

The preferred method of wiring is to bring power (hot and neutral) into the
switch box, interrupt the hot leg with a switch, then carry the power (hot
and neutral) on to the load, be it switch or outlet.

Sometimes, though, it's quicker, easier, and saves a lot of Romex to run
power to the load, then use a piece of romex to extend the hot into the
switch box.  The white wire then becomes a switched hot, and is marked with
black tape or marker.  This results in no neutral.

If they wired a box without a neutral even after you asked them to, it is
their responsiblity to fix it. You need to get your GC on your side in terms
of cost: the electricians almost certainly WILL try to bill you for their
mistake!