Re: Neutral wire at switches for outlets?

"Lewis Gardner" <lgardner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Close, but one problem...
>
> The white wire in these "switch leg" or "switch loop" circuits is the
> always hot wire and the white wire is the switched hot wire. This makes
> identification of a unknown white wire easier since it is always hot not
> just hot when the switch is on.

Can you try that again? You've confused me, now. :)

My way of thinking (in the US) is that an unknown white wire is going to be
assumed neutral. An unknown black wire is going to be assumed hot.  If I'm
wrong, I'm wrong.. but I've always seen white with a black mark as the
switched leg, black as the always hot leg.