Re: OT: Advice on Good Online Store Setup

"E. Lee Dickinson" <lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message

> "joe" <nospam@xxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> and yet you disagree with and denigrate those that are after bAss for
>> ruining other newsgroups and then running here to hide and act self
>> righteous!  wow you must get dizzy spinning around so fast like that!
>
> There's something to be said for net gain, here. A typical post from Mr.
> Bass will contain a number of helpful answers, followed by "I sell these
> items in my store" and a commercial sig line.  His net contribution, here,
> is positive.
>
> Compare that to those of you who are admittedly "after (Bass)" who seem to
> contribute nothing positive. Frank's got a few positive posts, which we
> all appreciate.  In this particular thread, though, he instigated a line
> of insults with no specific provocation.  Net loss.
>
> Marc's on the right track in asking people to please take some personal
> responsibility to preserving the S:N ratio of this group. If you see Mr.
> Bass write something that contributes to net loss in the group, by all
> means point it out. But taking an otherwise innocuous thread and ruining
> it is lame. Attempts to justify yourselves with amorphous claims about
> 'other groups' holds no water in THIS group.
>
> There are a number of vendors who post here.  Martin from AO, Dean from
> QCQ, Robert, and others.
>
> They've all answered questions of mine, and I've purchased from some of
> them. I hope they stick around.. who better to answer a question about
> Charmed Quark than Dean Roddey?  Who better to answer a question on
> relative quality of switches and prices than someone who runs an online
> outlet, like Brian or Martin?
>
> If I ask "Where is the best place to buy UPB switches?" and they all chime
> in with "I sell it for $$," my question has been answered with a price, a
> URL, often a recommendation for other products, and sometimes even a
> discounted price or an inside line to an upcoming sale. Net gain in group
> usefulness.  If someone responds with a review of an online merchant or a
> link to a BBB report, I appreciate that as it's topical and helpful.
>
> I delete half the posts I write before I send them, after asking myself
> "Am I really contributing something to the group here?"  The answer to
> this particular post is probably "no," but there's not much salvageable
> out of this thread anyway.

Heh...  I take one of Robert's own "lines", twist it around a little to say
that "I'm the owner of one of those alarm companies..." and all heck breaks
loose.  On top of all this, I add a "smiley" and actually state that it was
said with "tongue in cheek".  You guys are just way too serious!!!